header image 2  
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories
FLOW | Forces Poetry | Forces Stories | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Dedicated to those we have lost
 We will remember them
 Robert McClymont Doyle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  00:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obituary in THE CROSSBELTS 2009
The Journal of
THE QUEEN'S ROYAL HUSSARS
(The Queen's Own and Royal Irish)

Page 182, written by Alex McMorland

---start quote---

Robert McClymont Doyle

"I first met Bob Doyle in Lunenberg Germany in 1952, whilst going to 'C' Squadron Office. I suppose it was a meeting of chance as we were soon to become good mates. We were having a chat and he told me he was Scottish but by his accent you could have fooled me, he was born in a little village called Moscow outside of Kilmarnock in Ayrshire and that was our first meeting of many. We next met when both of us were in 'The 8th Hussars' Regimental boxing team training together and when the team broke up that was the last time we spent together. Bob joined the army on the 6th October 1948 then joined The 8th Hussars from the 1st Royal Tank Regiment on 23rd March 1951 and was demobbed on the 5th October 1953.

When I came out of the Army I went to England it was there I got married and made our home there and in 1955 we emigrated to Melbourne Australia and after 5 years later moving to Perth. Many years later this was when I met up with Bob once more after a phone call and a voice said "do you remember a man by the name of Bob Doyle" of which I replied not off hand so he asked if he could call round so I said yes if you wish. A car pulled up and out stepped Bob, I didn't remember him as he had changed through the years and then he showed me a photograph of him in his Army uniform then it clicked. We had a good old talk with a cuppa and we swapped stories of our life and then Bob told me what he had done after he left the Army. Bob's occupation was as a long distance truck driver for a few years then he went to Staythorpe Power Station as a Fitter in Newark where he remained until retirement. Bob left our house and returned to his mates place and came back again a few days later and then left a couple of days later to fly back home to Newark but before he left he told us he would be back again one day soon.

He rang us from England and asked when would be the best time to come over and I told him April and he could march with our Association on Anzac Day, 25th April, and he told us to expect him on a certain day. He attended a function celebrating Kapyong day on the 24th and on the 25th marched with the Korean and South East Asia Veterans Association Pert(h) so called as we have Malaya, Borneo and Vietname Veterans in our Association. Bob had the honour of carrying the UN Flag and after the parade we took him to a Returned Serviceman's Club and had a few beers and lunch and together with a few of our Members he really enjoyed himself. When he left to return to England he exclaimed he would be back and sure enough he came back the following year on the same month and marched with us once more and that was the last time he came to Perth. He enjoyed his time with us and loved to sit on the patio in the sunshire with a good military book and his cuppa every hour, his favourite saying was "I can smell a cup of tea" a real tea jenny was he.

My wife and I returned the visits to Bob's home in Bolderton (sic) twice and enjoyed seeing him and his family and the great hospitality too. Bob was a good family man and he love the kids and thought the world of them all. He was also a Member of his local branch of the British Legion and he carried their banner with pride at all functions and used to collect poppies on poppy day and take them around the pubs for them to sell and then go around and pick up the money and I believe he did this for many years he really loved his Legion.

When we were staying with Bob he had a set routine every morning before going out he would make a pot of tea whilst reading his paper and doing his 3 crosswords before breakfast. It drove us nuts but that was his way of doing things so we went along with him. When we went out anywhere he used to try and make sure he was home in time to watch his favourite shows Coronation Street and Emmerdale on TV why I'll never know, still everyone to their own taste. He also had a friend a lady called Jill who worked for the Legion with Bob and they went around together as Jill was not in the best of health Bob picked her up and looked after her that was the type of guy he was a heart of gold ready to help at all times. I could tell you a lot more regarding our times together but it would take a lot of time and paper.

Just two days, on the 19th July 2009, before he was taken ill, we had a phone call from him and during the conversation he said "well mate my travelling days are over I'm getting too old for it " so I said "you are only as old as you feel Bob" and then he said "I feel I'll be the next to fall off the perch" and I told him "don't talk daft" he just laughed. Then two days later on Tuesday 21st July 2009 we had a phone call from his son-in-law Mark saying Bob had a massive heart attack and was brain dead. He passed away four days later on the 25th July 2009 aged 78 years old, Shirley my wife and I were astounded as this was something we didn't expect, and after him making this statement it really did upset us.

This was the Bob Doyle we knew and loved so may he Rest in Peace until we meet again old mate."

"Lest we forget"

Alex McMorland

---end quote---

Regards,
Chris Green
frankgreen2@virginmedia.com
http://chrisgreen.weebly.com/

Service before self

'A Poppy in My Buttonhole' available now SEE:
http://www.rossendalebooks.co.uk/
http://www.lulu.com/content/2791550

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.

Edited by - Chris Green on 28/05/2010 21:49:34

taffy

Oswestry Shropshire.
United Kingdom

2073 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  08:53:03  Show Profile  Visit taffy's Homepage Send taffy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Truly a great man, he leaves a legacy of great memories for those who knew him, and now for we who read of him. thank you for posting this. taffy
Go to Top of Page

Chris Green

Newark-upon-Trent
United Kingdom

2301 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  03:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Chris Green's Homepage Send Chris Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he always had a good word for everyone, very cheerful without being over-whelming; I liked him.

Regards,
Chris Green
frankgreen2@virginmedia.com
http://chrisgreen.weebly.com/

Service before self

'A Poppy in My Buttonhole' available now SEE:
http://www.rossendalebooks.co.uk/
http://www.lulu.com/content/2791550

My next book will be "The Crcodile Chronicles" and is projected to be launched 2015 or a quarter past eight in time for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Flows Forum for Poems and Stories © 2005-2011 FlowForAll.org Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000